College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Fulfill a graduation requirement!
- Save time and money!
- Advance to higher-level classes!
You can receive credit for what you already know by earning qualifying scores on any one of twenty College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams accepted for credit at Northern Arizona University. These exams are scored on a pass/fail basis and do not affect a student’s GPA. Students should consult an academic advisor and the current NAU catalog to determine how CLEP credits will count toward liberal studies/or degree requirements.
CLEP exams are computer-based. CLEPs take approximately 90 minutes. CLEP exams are administered by appointment during regular testing hours and at freshman orientation.
The fee for taking a CLEP exam is $115. You will need to pay the proctoring fee of $35 when you register for the exam, and be prepared to pay the exam fee of $80 with a credit card on the day of the exam.
To register for a CLEP exam:
- Determine which CLEP exams you would like to take. Make sure that the exam is accepted for credit at Northern Arizona University. Consult with an academic advisor and the current NAU Catalog to determine how the credit will apply to your liberal studies requirements or degree.
- Please register through the online registration system. Registration is also available in person through the front desk at the The Testing Center or by phone at (928) 523-2358.
- For more information about the College Level Examination Program, or to obtain study materials, visit the College Board web site.